As a girl in Finland, Maaria drew
angels. Now after 60 years,
Maaria’s Angels are reborn
as a fabric in Kyoto, Japan.
When Maaria was a 4-year old girl with pigtails, she was watching her mother, Rut Bryk, a well known Finnish ceramic artist, drawing butterfly wallpaper at the other end of the table. As it was Christmas time, Maaria started to draw angels. Soon her angels were printed as wallpaper. Her pattern has remained popular for years.
Now after 60 years, Maaria’s angels are reborn as a fabric.
- Born in Helsinki, Finland in 1954, Maaria Wirkkala is a contemporary artist. Her works range from installations to urban projects.
Her works have been exhibited around the world, notably at the Venice Biennale in Italy and the Istanbul Biennale in Turkey. Since 2003 she has participated several art festivals in Japan, including Echigo-Tsumari Triennale, Yokohama Triennale, and Setouchi International Art Festival. Her work has also been featured at the Northern Alps International Art Festival.
- Finland is a country of forests and lakes.
Over 80% of it land is covered by forests, lakes, and rivers. Life there is deeply intertwined with nature.
People are free to access forests and lakes all over Finland. Swimming in a lake in summer, foraging for berries and mushrooms in spring and fall, and ice fishing in winter are traditional forms of recreation.
Winter is long and tough, but summer is surprisingly beautiful, and those opposing faces of nature inspire great designs.
- Exhibition “Ruth Bryk: Touch of a Butterfly” opened at Museum of Modern Ceramic Art, Gifu (ends August 16th, 2020) .
Tenugui is available at a museum shop.
- Online store is now open.
- Angel products are now available at MAISEMA, Kyoto.
- enkeli-by-maaria.com is opened.
- LAQUE 2F, Kankoboko-cho 101, Shijo-dori
Muromachi Higashi-iru, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto
〒600-8009 TEL: 075-212-7080
- Sacra Building 2F, Sanjo-dori Tominokoji Nishi-iru,
Nakanocho 20, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto
〒604-8083 TEL: 075-254-0909
- The Niigata Bandaijima Art Museum
- October 10 - December 6, 2020